Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Dear Total Lunar Eclipse

Dear Total Lunar Eclipse,

Xzibit: Still living?
Today’s date, December 21, 2010, marks a date in history.  This is the date that you have arrived for basically only North America’s viewing pleasure. Thanks for playing favorites. I love America too.

I’m not sure if you’re completely aware, but you are a rare specimen and a sight to see.  So, when I learned that you would be arriving in the middle of the night, I did nothing other than to make plans with my roommate to set our alarms for the middle of the night to come see you.

In preparation, what I had to do was a little research on you. Yes, I knew what an eclipse was. But off the top of my head could I freely explain what one was? No. Sue me.

I did no messing around and went straight to NASA.gov for my research. Only the best. Click, click, click….here I am at an illustration of specifically what you look like: Boom. That site is lots of things I don’t understand but it looks awesome. I kept that tab open for reference but then just went to Wikipedia and brushed up on this, “A lunar eclipse occurs when the moon passes behind the earth so that the earth blocks the sun's rays from striking the moon. This can occur only when the Sun, Earth, and Moon are aligned exactly, or very closely so, with the Earth in the middle. Hence, there is always a full moon the night of a lunar eclipse. The type and length of an eclipse depend upon the Moon's location relative to its orbital nodes.” Orbital nodes totally sounds like something they’d eat on Fear Factor during the second challenge.

Satisfied with my research, my roommate and I went to our bed chambers and slept. I get awakened at around 2:30 a.m. by my roommate gently walking; we have notably thin divisions in our house. I put on boots and my thickest coat and we head up to our rooftop deck to see you.


Instantly upon viewing you I am completely satisfied with the decision to wake up to see you. You are beautiful and orange and I have this strange urge that I can pick you out of the sky and eat you as if you really were made of cheese; it is a feeling of joy. My roommate is taken aback as well, but in a different sense; more eerie. She keeps asking me if I’m freaked out; as if you are going to send an orange beam right for us and snatch us into your shadows. I ignored her question because I was in awe of how awesome earth/space science was. Then I pushed my glasses up further on my nose and picked a wedgie.

Probably giving more credit to my naked eye than I should, I announce to my roommate that I feel as if I can see you getting darker and darker as we stand here. Her response, “Well, it’s going to get completely blacked out.” After about five full Mississippi seconds of pausing, I reply, “The moon is soooo drunk.” We had a good laugh on that one.

After that laugh, we got bored and decided to go back to bed. Also, I owe my roommate an apology for ignoring her when she was freaked out….. because as I was locking our roof deck door, I got a whiff of being freaked out and completely rushed as I used to do when I was a little girl trying to frantically get out of the unfinished basement.

We said goodnight and returned to our rooms. I turned on the television to calm down from all your excitement and Lopez Tonight pops up (TBS is typical for me for The Office re-runs). I was getting ready to change it, but the guest was Xzibit from Pimp My Ride…..I didn’t know he was still alive, let alone, in the entertainment business!!!…then I remembered that it’s Lopez Tonight that he’s on and everything made sense.     I laughed out loud, and on that note, I turned off the tube, rolled over and fell asleep smiling thanks to you and Xzibit. Without you guys, my night would have been mediocre at best; but now, it’s one marked for history.

No comments:

Post a Comment